In our podcast “Doing Memory für eine plurale Gesellschaft” (Doing Memory for a plural society) we talk to people about their experiences with right-wing violence and about remembering, about pain and disregard and precarious conditions in remembrance work. The podcast is also about protest and courage, art, music and poetry.
The people we talk with are activists, affected people, journalists, artists and researchers. The podcast is hosted by Tanja Thomas and Fabian Virchow.
Each episode highlights an event of right-wing violence, commemorates the victims and those affected, and addresses the specifics of the associated commemorative work.
Overview of the episodes
In the first season there are ten episodes with a range of topics and geographical references. We talk about the deadly consequences of racism and right-wing violence
- with Kien Nghi Ha and Trần Thị Thu Trang on the pogrom in Rostock-Lichtenhagen in 1992,
- with Cynthia Zimmermann and Julia Oelkers about death, the experiences of Delfin Guerra and Raúl Garcia Paret and their families,
- with Orhan Çalışır, Kutlu Yurtseven on the life and death of Şahin Çalışır on 27.12.1992,
- with Diana König and Paul Neupert about the art and the murder of Günter Schwannecke in 1992,
- with Ruben Gerczikow and Marina Schulz on Jewish life and the murder of Blanka Zmigrod on 23.02.1992,
- with Uffa Jensen and the Critical Remembrance Initiative about life and the double murder of Shlomo Lewin and Frida Poeschke on 19.12.1980,
- with Tamer Düzyol and Taudy Patmanathan on the political engagement, poetry and death of Semra Ertan on 26.05.1982,
- with Youmna Fouad and Katharina Wüstefeld about the courageous and harrowing story of Marwa El-Sherbini,
- with Ismet Tekin and the Initiative Tekiez on the assassination in Halle on 09.10.2019,
- with Hannah Peacemen, Ali Yildirim, Ibrahim Arslan and Ulrich Chaussy on the murder of Gökhan Gültekin, Sedat Gürbüz, Said Nesar Hashemi, Mercedes Kierpacz, Hamza Kurtović, Vili Viorel Păun, Fatih Saraçoğlu, Ferhat Unvar and Kaloyan Velkov on 19.02.2020 and the perspectives of public remembrance of right-wing violence.
Background information on the production
This podcast was produced as part of Doing Memory, the interdisciplinary research in the field of remembrance culture by Tanja Thomas, Matthias Lorenz and Fabian Virchow. Master’s students from the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen and the University of Applied Sciences Düsseldorf played a central role in the production. They produced the event reviews and Shownotes, which are an important part of the “Doing Memory” podcast.